"Women are Disappearing From the Workforce"

Sounds like a sci-fi horror title. However, a recent New York Times article seems to give that impression. It recently published a story about a trend happening in the American labor scene. The article is controversially entitled, "Women Are Now Equal as Victims of Poor Economy" (registration required). According to the story, since the beginning of the decade, the percentage of women at work has fallen. Reasons for this trend were varied: economic downturns, layoffs, outsourcing, stagnant wage or pay cut. The so-called "motherhood movement" was not even a factor.



The facts as outlined: 74.9% of women in their prime working years, 25-54, worked in 2000. By 2007, it was 72.7%, not a huge decline, but the study that provided this statistics claimed that it erased more than 12 years of gains for women. As a mid-life woman, I was curious to know what is the proportion of women over 40 who opted out of the workforce.

So, why are women withdrawing from the workforce now? Well, the issues the story exposes are complex, and having to do with gender inequality, socioeconomic status, class and education, among other things. Underlying all these macro factors are the experiences of the women that are profiled in the story, and the numerous women who willingly revealed their situation in the comments section. They were realistic, authentic, riveting and sometimes, heart-breaking. I read the comments to see if there were any stories there that reflected back on my current life priorities and decisions. And came away feeling that each story is unique to its storyteller.

To answer my question then, why are women withdrawing from the workforce now, I should look at myself for the answers.

When I got laid off from my fairly comfortable job, I didn't initiate a serious search for a comparable position. Instead, I took on contract work, usually part-time. Just enough to pay the bills. I wanted the time to re-evaluate my life, trying to see where it could be heading if I decide to continue on the treadmill of corporate life. In the six months since then, while I must be careful of my spending, the beneficial results have been to reduce my consumption of 'stuff' and to take pleasure in pursuing the activities that interest me.

Yet, the current economic doom and gloom is also a reason in keeping me loosely tethered to the workforce. I have kept a presence as an independent contractor, and I may continue on this route for awhile. I work for myself at half what I would normally earn at half the time. But the other half has allowed me to pursue start-up opportunities, which I may not have otherwise taken under my old life. Again, trade-offs. My age, skills, talents, education and personal resources are all factors in my decision to take a different path. Is it risky? You bet so. No employer, employer-sponsored health plans, benefits and pension. Whose to say my decision today will not backfire 10 years from now?

So I keep my options open, continue to learn and pursue my interests, and if the need arises, jump back on the treadmill, run for a bit, and then get off again when I feel like it.

Comments

Popular Posts